Factbites
 Where results make sense
About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   PR   |   Contact us  

Topic: Friary


Related Topics
Yew

In the News (Tue 25 Jun 19)

  
  The Friary
Secondly, the Friary is Esoteric Christian in theme: that is, while the Friary is open to Initiates of all faiths, its primary symbolism is drawn from the vast wellspring of spiritual Tradition that is Christianity.
Membership in the Friary is open to men and women of 18 years of age or older, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion or sexual preference.
The Friary, by Adeptus Minor Recognition, is certifying that this particular magician is capable and skilled in the esoteric arts and philosophy, and has all the tools necessary to begin to effect the "Great Work," The Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel.
www.johannite.org /friary/about/about.html   (557 words)

  
 Bonamargy Friary - Ballycastle - County Antrim - Northern Ireland
Other stories tell of her murder on the stone stairs leading up to the second floor of the friary and that she still haunts these steps at night, a small cross with a hole through the centre near the west gable of the chapel is believed to mark her grave.
Another story tell of the friars, before fleeing from the friary during one of the many raids, having buried the friary's valuables 'at the furthest reach of the light from a candle burning in the east window of the chapel'.
The friary is steeped in a wealth of history from being attacked and burnt to it being used as a billet and stables for soldiers.
www.northantrim.com /bonamargey_friary.htm   (642 words)

  
 Lanark Friary History
The friary was to have twelve friars but Easson in his book Scottish Mediaeval houses reckoned that it is unlikely that the order managed to reach even this small number.
This tells us that the Friary's church was of a reasonable size - the reason being that the Friars were closely identified with the ordinary people of Lanark and it would be some of them that would be buried in the cemetery alongside the Friars.
The Friary Chapel was still in use in 1552, as Sir Andrew Allen, who died in that year, left instructions that he was to be buried in the friary.
www.btinternet.com /~ian.borthwick/LADAS/act/friary/friary_hist.html   (942 words)

  
 Friary History
The Wexford Friary was declared confiscated in 1540, and the Friars sought refuge among their friends and benefactors in the town.
In this latter year Bishop Wadding was refused permission to repair the church in High Street because it was inside the walls of the town; and because the Friary was outside the walls, the official religious services of the parish began to be held there.
Bishop Wadding died in 1692 and was buried in the Friary.
homepage.eircom.net /~gallagherdenny1/FriaryHist.htm   (516 words)

  
 A Franciscan Friary In Bunnacurry, Achill.   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
Outside, a short distance away from the friary, is an enclosed graveyard, the last resting place of several members of the order, including the friary founder, Br.
The friary was opened in 1852 under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Tuam, John McHale, who enlisted the help of the brothers in his efforts to combat the influence of the Bible Societies, and Scripture Reading Societies, which had been active in the west of Ireland, particularly during the famine period.
Afterwards the friary property was purchased by a co-operative that proved to be unsuccessful, it too closed, and the building is now empty and rapidly becoming derelict.
www.castlebar.ie /news/printer_2676.shtml   (307 words)

  
 Franciscan Friary, Claregalway, Co.Galway, Éire   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
The friary is undoubtedly the most notable landmark in the parish of Claregalway.
The friary is reputed to be the first known Franciscan house in Connaught.
In 1297, the Franciscan friary was at the centre of an ecclesiastical dispute between the diocese of Tuam and Annaghdown that reached the courts of King Edward I and Pope Boniface VIII in Rome.
www.claregalway.net /friary.htm   (3371 words)

  
 History of Ross Abbey
He asked where the friary was to be built and was told to go West from Tuam to Headford and to the townland of Cordarra and that a sign would be given to him there.
The Friary in Donegal was completed but the lady Nuala never lived to see the finished Friary and her remains were interred under the high alter.
Severly wounded at the battle of Kinsale and having asked to be taken to the Friary of Ross, the young Brian Oge O'Rourke of Breffny dies from his wounds as is interred in the cloisters or the Friary.
www.headford.org /ross.htm   (968 words)

  
 Churches of Adare
For nearly two hundred years, the Friary carried out its quiet and religious existence until it was suppressed in the mid-sixteenth century.
This Friary was also known as the "Black Abbey" because the Augustinian friars wore a fl habit.
The Augustinian Friary was restored for Church of Ireland worship in 1807.
www.limerickdioceseheritage.org /Adare/chAdareAug.htm   (275 words)

  
 Friary Road
The remainder of Friary Road was cut at a date sometime prior to 1887 to form a direct link from Oxhill Road to Hamstead Road.
The land (including Friary Road) on which Stockwell Farm was situated originally in 1870 was in the possession of 1.
Similarly, surrounding land was taken to meet the needs of the rapidly expanding population of Birmingham, except the farms and fields to the North and West which have still retained their open character.
website.lineone.net /~glb1/birmingham/handsworth/friary.htm   (797 words)

  
 Franciscan Friary, Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland - VisitClonmel
The friary was suppressed in 1540 and was badly damaged during Cromwell's attack on Clonmelin 1650.
The Friary was reopened in 1828 and rebuilt fully in 1883.
The tomb could be considered the one constant element in the history of the church as it survived the dissolution of the monasteries, the passage of the Cromwellians and the Williamites and the entire penal law period.
www.visitclonmel.com /FranciscianFriary.asp   (211 words)

  
 Ardfert Franciscan Friary   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
The friary was probably founded by Thomas Fitzmaurice about 1253 for the Franciscans of the Conventual Rule, though the Observantine rule was adopted in 1518.
The friary has a rectangular church with a south transept and a south aisle.
On the outside of the south wall between the church and the tower is a good squinch carried on corbels.
cloghmore.bravepages.com /kerry/ardfert_friary.html   (300 words)

  
 KILKENNY FRIARY - welcome
Edward Tommins was the first of the friars to wear the habit in public since the Reformation, and was responsible for the construction in 1874 of that part of the friary which runs parallel to Friary St.
Peter Joseph Mulligan was guardian of the friary in the mid- 19th century.
On 10 October, the roof of the friary was badly damaged by fire.
www.irishcapuchins.com /article_20.shtml   (1561 words)

  
 A Modern Pilgrim's Stay at a Franciscan Friary
Graymoor Friary, the home of the Friars of the Atonement, is right on the Trail, east of the Hudson River in the tiny town of Garrison, New York.
When my friend BB and I reach the friary, Father Fred, the guest master, who is dressed in a long brown robe and sandals, shows us to our room.
The guest "cells" are tiny dormer rooms on the top floor of the Old Friary building, which was built in 1926 and which until recently was crumbling, with a leaking roof.
www.suite101.com /article.cfm/walking_retired/11478/1   (467 words)

  
 Adare Franciscan Friary   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
Adare Franciscan Friary was founded by Thomas, Earl of Kildare in 1464 and most of the building was completed by the end of the century.
The friary is very badly overgrown and a large tree grows out of the middle of the cloister garth.
This friary was granted to Sir Henry Wallop after the Dissolution.
cloghmore.bravepages.com /limerick/adare_franciscan.html   (271 words)

  
 The Friary - Guildford Tour - Friends International in Guildford
Friary Street was once a busy thoroughfare running alongside wharves, warehouses and a militia barracks.
The Friary shopping centre is so-called because it is built on the site of a Dominican Friary, which was founded in about AD 1275 by Eleanor of Provence, widow of Henry III, probably in memory of her grandson who died in Guildford.
The friary was never a rich one and was dissolved in 1538, when only seven Blackfriars were in residence.
www.surrey.ac.uk /Chaplains/CFIS/tour/friary.html   (235 words)

  
 Florilegium urbanum - Cathedral and friary
The building seen above was the nave of their great church; the church faced onto Hungate and between it and the street was an open area of land the friars used for preaching to audiences.
In 1307 they were able to relocate into buildings formerly occupied by a lesser order, the Friars of the Sack (or Penitentials, one of the orders whose extremist views had been found objectionable by the Church and abolished by the Council of Lyons in 1274).
Behind the church were the cloisters and friars' quarters, while further back, on the riverbank, stood the friary brewhouse.
www.trytel.com /~tristan/towns/florilegium/popreli17.html   (541 words)

  
 Friary
The Friary of the Divine Compassion is within the village of Te Ara Hou (The New Way), 100 Morrinsville Road, Hillcrest Hamilton.
Te Ara Hou is a campus of various Christian social service agencies of which Anglican Action and the friary are part of the Anglican Diocese of Waikato.
Hospitality for guests and retreatants is available at the Friary of the Divine Compassion, Hamilton.
www.franciscan.org.nz /friary.html   (150 words)

  
 Linden Homes - The Friary   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
The interior design of the properties at The Friary has been subject to careful consideration and meticulous attention to detail, resulting in a cool, pristine look throughout with an imaginative use of space.
The stunning kitchens at The Friary will make cooking time a practical pleasure with a comprehensive, tailor made range of fitted wall and base units that blend perfectly with the smooth granite worktops.
General electrical fittings at The Friary include smoke detectors with a battery back up, shaver lights to the bathroom and en-suite, patio and porch lights (to townhouses only) and a door entry system (to apartments only).
www.lindenhomes.co.uk /lndn2/developments/southern/friary/spec.htm   (747 words)

  
 Franciscan Friary
The friary, dedicated to St Francis, was built around 1373, on an older Celtic site, and dissolved by Henry VIII at the reformation.
Little else is known of the work of the friary which never seemed to have much influence though did give the Island one of its Bishops.
In 1868 - The old chapel of Beimaken Friary, then used as a threshing Mill stood in the farmyard of the Friary Farm at Arbory, the gothic windows were walled up, but showed the original shape visible.
www.isle-of-man.com /manxnotebook/parishes/monastic/friary.htm   (216 words)

  
 Mother of the Good Shepherd Friary opens in Emmitsburg by Roy J. Horner
Don't be surprised to see a young man with a full beard, shaved head and rough, gray woolen robe walking humbly along the streets of Emmitsburg on Tuesdays or Saturdays.
Peter Giroux, and 4 others live in the newly named "Mother of the Good Shepherd Friary." Local resident Barney Krahm offered the 1890s-era house to the order whose members are studying for the priesthood at Mount St. Mary's Seminary.
Of the 4 seminarians at the friary, two are completing graduate level theology studies; one is a second-year seminarian, another is a first-year student and one is in pre-theology.
www.emmitsburgdispatch.com /2003/October/friary.shtml   (940 words)

  
 Friary Manor
The Friary Manor is a 300 year old former vicarage and is now a family run country house hotel set in a beautiful, secluded location above a wooded valley that runs down to the sea on the unspoilt Rame peninsula.
There are 3 acres of wooded grounds, which are delightful all year, with spring flowers through to summer, and palm trees that thrive in the warm coastal climate.
The Friary provides an excellent base from which to explore the delights of Devon and Cornwall.
www.friarymanor.co.uk   (295 words)

  
 Welcome to The Friary of Lakeview Center
The Friary, a service of Lakeview Center, Inc., is a center for the treatment of alcohol and drug dependencies and related problems.
The Friary's residential treatment center is located outside of Gulf Breeze, Florida, on beautiful Pensacola Bay.
In 1996, the Friary became a service of Lakeview Center, Inc., which is an affiliate of Baptist Health Care, a regional network of hospitals and other health care facilities.
www.thefriary.org   (122 words)

  
 Friary Brae Holiday Cottage, Donegal Town, Donegal, Ireland   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-11-04)
With four spacious bedrooms, two open fireplaces and high quality furnishings throughout, Friary Brae makes the ideal spot for your family holiday in Donegal.
Nestling in a tranquil rural setting in the foothills of the Bluestack Mountains, Friary Brae is only 0.5km from Ardnamona Nature Reserve which features an abundance of indigenous wildlife and hundreds of acres of natural oak woodland.
Lough Eske is famed for its superb salmon, trout and char fishing and a winding country lane leads downhill from Friary Brae Cottage to the Lough Eske Fishing Centre.
www.donegalcottageholidays.com /friarybrae/index.htm   (634 words)

  
 Worried About a Friend or Family Member?
Often it is family members who first recognize the addiction and attempt to seek help for their loved one.
The Friary can assist you in getting your loved ones the help that they need.
The Friary strives to assist family members in their own recovery process by offering a Family educational program, conjoint therapy sessions and an on-going continuing care group specific for family.
www.elakeviewcenter.org /TheFriary/FamiliesFriends.aspx   (459 words)

  
 Locating a Drug or Alcohol Rehab Center in Northwest Florida - Associated Content
The Friary, located in the community of Gulf Breeze, Florida, is the center's facility for treating substance abuse patients.
The Friary, which is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities is located in a placid area on Pensacola Bay, punctuated by palm trees and live oaks, that once housed retired Franciscan friars (hence the name), and was turned into a substance-abuse treatment center in 1975.
One of the missions of the Friary is to let the patient know that he has hurt lives with his addiction but that treatment can turn the pain around.
www.associatedcontent.com /article/5340/locating_a_drug_or_alcohol_rehab_center.html   (696 words)

  
 franciscan friary
Built in 1960, the structure was originally a novitiate for the Sacred Heart of Jesus Province based in Loretto, Pa. Around 1972, a part-time retreat center, The Franciscan Center for Spiritual Renewal, began operating.
Mass with the provincial and a reception were held at the Friary, and relatives came from Ireland, England and New Jersey.
The TOR Franciscans have a wonderful sense of hospitality, Burke said and in 1988, she was professed in the Secular Franciscan Order through the fraternity sponsored and hosted by the Friars.
www.catholicherald.com /articles/02articles/friary0425.htm   (793 words)

  
 The Friary
While all your degree material will be mailed to you in hard-copy format, we realize that it is not always convenient to carry your Friary Folder around with you at all times- and so the latest versions of the degree monographs are always available on-line for your ready access.
The Friary / Ordo Sacrae Flammae is designed to assist you in the ways we have found to be the most practical, productive, and factual.
Nevertheless, as versatile as the Friary may be, and as proud of it as we are, it is most properly understood as a tool.
www.johannite.org /friary/contact/montsalvasche.html   (460 words)

  
 The Friary Complex
Exposing paired row of posts from the covered walkway that connected the friary with its detached kitchen.
This complex consisted of a friary that was divided into public and private spaces.
There was also a detached kitchen that was connected to the friary by a covered walkway.
www.missionsanluis.org /research/reconstruction7.cfm   (198 words)

  
 Photographs of Kilconnell Friary taken on May 6th 2002.
The ruins of this Franciscan Friary are amongst the best that are to be seen in Ireland.
In all probability, the wealthy Catholics who normally provided financial support (and physical protection) for Kilconnell Friary and its occupants up to that time were either killed in the very decisive Battle of Aughrim (Ireland's "Gettysburg"), or, they left Ireland shortly afterwards because they did not wish to live under the new arrangements.
(from one of William Shakespeare's poems) is almost certainly a reference to the demise of church properties such as Kilconnell Friary in the wake of the Reformation - which Shakespeare himself would have witnessed in England during the second half of the1500's, and the early years of the 1600's.
homepage.eircom.net /~williamfinnerty/Kilconnell_Meeting/Kilconnell_Friary_.htm   (617 words)

Try your search on: Qwika (all wikis)

Factbites
  About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   Press   |   Contact us  
Copyright © 2005-2007 www.factbites.com Usage implies agreement with terms.