Where results make sense
About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   PR   |   Contact us  

Topic: Limehouse Basin

Related Topics

In the News (Thu 19 Apr 18)

  Limehouse Marina
In May 2004 management of Limehouse Marina reverted to British Waterways, but CA members are still entitled to discounts.
Limehouse Marina has become the Jewel in the Crown of the British inland waterways network.
Port of London Authority Notices to Mariners giving notification of changes to navigation on the Thames are distributed to the harbour master's office at Limehouse and the Cruising Association.
www.cruising.org.uk /cahouse/lm.htm   (652 words)

  The Postcodes Project | E14   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Limehouse Basin lies nearby between the canal and the Thames.
In the 19th century, Limehouse Basin - or Regent's Canal Dock as it was also known - was one of London's busiest docks.
When the dock closed, the quays and wharves of Limehouse were abandoned and became derelict.
www.museumoflondon.org.uk /postcodes/places/E14.html   (148 words)

Limehouse library has a statue of Clement Attlee, who was Member of Parliament for Limehouse from 1922 and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1945 to 1951.
The station lies to the west of Limehouse Basin, recently redeveloped as a marina and residential complex, and the Regent's Canal.
The Basin, built by the Regent's Canal Company, was formerly known as ''Regent's Canal Dock'' and was used by seagoing vessels and lighters to offload cargoes to canal barges, for onward transport along the Regent's Canal.
www.artistbooking.com /trips/126/limehouse.html   (1709 words)

  LIMEHOUSE BASIN : Encyclopedia Entry   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
The Basin, built by the Regent's Canal Company, was formerly known as Regent's Canal Dock and was used by seagoing vessels and lighters to offload cargoes to canal barges, for onward transport along the Regent's Canal.
The history of the connection of the Basin to the River Thames and the Limehouse Cut is complex, but in 1968, a short stretch of new canal was constructed to reconnect the Limehouse Cut to the Basin, replacing the Cut's old direct link with the Thames.
Limehouse Basin as seen from an apartment on the edge of the Marina, with the Thames River in the background.
www.bibleocean.com /OmniDefinition/Limehouse_Basin   (810 words)

 Science Fair Projects - Limehouse Basin
The Basin was formerly known as Regent's Canal Dock and was used by seafaring vessels to offload cargos to canal barges.
It was closed to commercial traffic in 1969, with one quay at the Basin retained for the use of pleasure craft.
The Cruising Assocation has a purpose-built headquarters at Limehouse Basin, and the John Ding Academy Tai Chi centre (opened March 2005) is located in the retail unit of Berglen Court.
www.all-science-fair-projects.com /science_fair_projects_encyclopedia/Limehouse_Basin   (682 words)

 LDDC Completion Booklet - Wapping and Limehouse
Limehouse Basin was amongst the first docks to close in the late 1960s.
In and around Limehouse Basin some of London's most attractive flats and houses add a modern flavour to the area's historic associations, whilst on the riverside warehouses have been converted to much sought after housing.
The completion of the Limehouse Link provided the LDDC with the opportunity to undertake a number of environmental improvement projects, particularly along Narrow Street and in Limehouse Basin, the latter in partnership with the British Waterways, owners of the basin.
www.lddc-history.org.uk /wapping/index.html   (5410 words)

 London's Industrial Heritage: Index - keywords / Basin   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Dock Entrance, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse (1986)
Dock Viaduct, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse (1986)
Dock sheds, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse Basin, Limehouse (1986)
www.cix.co.uk /~petermarshall/k_basin.html   (80 words)

 Limehouse Basin   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Limehouse Basin is a dock that is the entrance to the Regent's Canal from the River Thames.
Limehouse Basin was originally called the Regent's Canal dock.
Limehouse is close to Canary Wharf, the tallest office building in Britain.
website.lineone.net /~d.morris1/LimehouseBasin.html   (138 words)

 Limehouse on GlobalGuide.Org, mapping the world   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Geographically, Limehouse is commonly thought to be centred on Narrow Street and the Limehouse Basin.
The name 'Limehouse' is often thought to have been derived from the nickname for the seamen that disembarked there, who had earned the name 'Lime-juicers' or 'limeys' after the obligatory ration of lime juice the English Navy gave their sailors to ward off scurvy.
On January 25, 1981 MPs Shirley Williams, Roy Jenkins, William Rodgers and David Owen made the Limehouse Declaration from Owen's house in Limehouse, which announced the formation of the Council for Social Democracy in opposition to the granting of block votes to the trade unions in the Labour Party to which they had previously belonged.
www.globalguide.org /index.html?lat=51.5152&long=-0.0462&zoom=17   (1291 words)

 [No title]
The bridge over the lock carries the Docklands Light Railway, and the simplest access to Limehouse station is to use the staircase noted above and turn left at the top, stay on this side of the main road, walk ahead and cross Branch Road and pass under the bridge.
Limehouse Basin is, in theory, semi-tidal but since the work on Bow Locks has been completed it is unlikely that there will be any significant changes in level.
Access to the DLR from here requires you to cross the Lock and walk round the basin, but the station canopy is visible virtually all the time so it isn’t a problem.
members.lycos.co.uk /michael_lennox/index-page12.html   (647 words)

 London walk - Canary Wharf to Limehouse
The Surrey Docks were visible on the south bank of the river and a succession of cruisers, barges, river boats and sail vessels braved the choppy waters.
Limehouse has undergone a similar transformation to Docklands and many of the river front properties are new stylish apartment blocks.
Limehouse was originally the first Chinatown of London and in Victorian times had a colourful reputation as a mass of opium dens and illegal gambling joints.
www.transki.co.uk /walk/canary.htm   (655 words)

 BBC - h2g2 - Regent's Canal, London, UK - A8788819
Regent's Canal, London, UK Regent's Canal runs from the Grand Union Canal's Paddington branch to Limehouse Basin on the River Thames, passing through Camden Town, King's Cross and Mile End on the way.
During the 1930s parts of City Road basin were filled in, and in 1942, the Cumberland Arm section next to Regent's Park was filled in with rubble from bombed houses.
Limehouse DLR station lies on the nearby Commercial Road, and the Thames Path can be joined at the south end of the basin where it joins the Thames.
www.bbc.co.uk /dna/h2g2/plain/A8788819   (2377 words)

 ipedia.com: Regent's Canal Article   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
It provides a link from the Paddington arm of the Grand Union Canal, just north-west of Paddington Basin, in the west, to the Limehouse Basin and the River Thames in east London.
First proposed by Thomas Homer in 1802 as a link from the Paddington arm of the then Grand Junction Canal (opened in 1801) with the River Thames at Limehouse, it was built during the early 19th century after an Act of Parliament was passed in 1812.
The Camden to Limehouse section, including the 886m long Islington tunnel and the Regent's Canal Dock (used to transfer cargo from sea-faring vessels to canal barges — today known as Limehouse Basin), opened four years later on 1 August 1820.
www.ipedia.com /regent_s_canal.html   (427 words)

 London Walks online - Guide books - walks
From Limehouse station walk south down Horseferry Road to join the Thames path just to the west of Limehouse basin (the initial route is: Narrow Street - Wapping Wall - Wapping High Street - St Katherine's Way).
The Regent's Canal meets the Thames at Limehouse Basin.
It would be prefectly feasible to connect the Limehouse Basin end of this walk to the Greenwich "stroll" by walking along the north bank of the river and crossing through the Greenwich foot tunnel (2 1/2 miles)
www.fellwalk.co.uk /londonwalk1.htm   (1540 words)

THE ONCE beautiful Limehouse Basin was transformed into an ugly swamp of gloop this week as duck weed formed a thick carpet over the water.
The basin, which is home to hundreds of boat-dwellers in the Limehouse Marina, was overrun with the green weed due to the reaction between the dirty water and the intense sun of the past couple of weeks.
Residents on and around the basin have voiced their disgust at the state of the water, and demanded that British Waterways does more to tackle the problem.
icthewharf.icnetwork.co.uk /thisweek/news/tm_objectid=17377008&method=full&siteid=71670&headline=invasive-weed-swamps-basin--name_page.html   (416 words)

 Docklands Light Railway - Stations - Limehouse   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Close to Limehouse Basin Marina with its modern residential developments and the Regents Canal.
Download a train timetable for this station in PDF format.
Limehouse station connects with local bus numbers 15, 115, D3, 395, N15 and N50.
www.tfl.gov.uk /dlr/stations/limehouse.shtml   (103 words)

 Limehouse Flats - accommodation & rental
We have a small selection of good quality flats in the Limehouse Basin region of Docklands which we let to discerning tenants.
Most of our flats are around Limehouse Basin and Narrow Street, which gives good access to the City, via Limehouse DLR, and Canary Wharf.
We take pride in keeping all our flats in excellent condition, and we look for tenants who will take good care of our flats too.
www.limehouse-flats.com   (154 words)

 LIMEHOUSE   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
This view from the top of the hydraulic accumulator tower shows Limehouse Basin during the 1997 Limehouse Festival.
The tide lock is in the background left, with the polygonal Lock-keeper's Office to the right of it and the HQ of the Cruising Association on its left.
The marina on the far side of the basin is a permanent feature, but the narrowboats in the foreground are on temporary moorings for the Rally.
www.mike-stevens.co.uk /metrocuts/regents/limehouse4.htm   (127 words)

 LDDC Water Use Strategy 1997
The Shadwell Basin Project has been granted a lease and licence for the landside site and dock water under the terms of which they are responsible for the day to day management of both including the aeration of the water to maintain its quality.
The Basin, which is owned by British Waterways, is the gateway to England’s canals and provides a vital staging point for cruising on London’s canals, the River Lea and Stort navigations via Limehouse Cut and the Thames.
The Basin is an important recreational resource at the junction of a number of footpaths and increasingly provides a focus for development on surrounding land.
www.lddc-history.org.uk /water/index.html   (9131 words)

The park, established after 1945, stretches from Limehouse to Victoria Park, along the Regents Canal....
With over 200 years of history, London's canals were originally built to connect the great docks on the River Thames to Birmingham and the industrial Midlands....
Limehouse Basin (formerly the Regent's Canal Dock), was the hub of the canal system nationwide....
www.topic-map.com /tower-hamlet/canal.html   (342 words)

 Street Management - Walk details   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Battlebridge Basin is a popular mooring for narrowboats, now a fashionable residential area with the London Canal Museum nearby.
Several canal basins with moored boats provide some colour, and you pass the Gainsborough Studios where many famous films were made.
The final stretch into the colourful marina in Limehouse Basin is shared with Time Travellers, and a little further on is the Thames Path National Trail.
www.tfl.gov.uk /streets/walking/walkdetails.asp?id=108   (640 words)

 SPCC: History
It was thanks to the railways that the club occupies a former 'coal drop' basin on the Regents Canal built in 1868 to tranship coal from the Midlands to canal boats.
The basin fell into disuse before the Second World War and was taken over the British Transport Commission as part of the nationalisation of inland waterways in 1948.
With the rundown of Docklands commercial use of the basin declined and local boaters saw it as a convenient mooring which led to the formation of St Pancras Cruising Club in 1958 with Will Honey as its first commodore.
members.aol.com /malbabs/history.html   (585 words)

 An Olympic walk in East London-Life & Style-Travel-Destinations-England-TimesOnline   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Twenty years ago, Limehouse Basin was abandoned as industries deserted London’s Docklands, and the area was left overshadowed by Victorian railway arches and lined with derelict warehouses.
The Cut was built in the mid-eighteenth century as a short cut for freight boats coming down the River Lea from Hertfordshire to the Thames so that they did not have to take the long loop round the Isle of Dogs and wait for the tide to turn in their favour.
The two mile walk from Limehouse Basin to Bow Locks at the entry to the river Lea is peaceful and easy, through an increasingly industrial landscape of warehouses, builders’ yards and rusting gas holders.
entertainment.timesonline.co.uk /article/0,,20449-1970158,00.html   (1977 words)

 Visit East London
Limehouse Basin is located to the west of Canary Wharf and
In the 18th century the area around Limehouse Basin, known as Ratcliff, was “sailortown” a place full of cheap lodging houses, bars, brothels and music halls.
Limehouse was also the heart of Chinatown in the 1980s.
www.visiteastlondon.co.uk /visitors/heritageCW.htm   (511 words)

 London's Minor Canals
This small canal was opened in 1825, and ran on land in Lord Grosvenor's estate, from the Thames to Grosvenor Basin.
From the Lee navigation to the Thames using nature's route requires the Bow Creek to be navigated, a twisting, tidal waterway not at all well suited to inland waterway traffic.
The exit lock from the Cut to the Thames was replaced in 1968 by a short length of new canal linking the Limehouse Cut with the Regent's Canal Dock, now known as Limehouse Basin.
www.canalmuseum.org.uk /history/minor.htm   (840 words)

 Title   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-10-29)
Limehouse, famous for it's Chinese community, and the low life described in Charles Dickens novels, took its name from the lime trees which grew in the area.
The nearest stations are Limehouse on the Fenchurch Street main line and the Docklands station.
The pub lies at the entrance to the Limehouse basin and so has tremendous river views from outside and inside.
dspace.dial.pipex.com /prod/dialspace/town/pipexdsl/o/aoch02/limehouse.html   (492 words)

 :::::::::: Kobi-Israel.co.il ::::::::::
Ahead is St. Pancras Basin and the industrial yards of King’s Cross—brick chimneys, a remaining gasometer where coal was once converted to gas, and dozens of train tracks.
Shortly after 1820, Limehouse Basin became the Thames’ canal port, a harbor once hectic with goods from ships around the world being unloaded onto the narrowboats.
In the 1890s, Limehouse was home to London’s Chinese community, and the area was notorious—and romanticized—for its dens of vice.
www.kobi-israel.com /stock_published_USairways.html   (1349 words)

 A Landscape Walk from Blackheath to Victoria Park in East London
It was extended northwards to St Anne's in Limehouse by Hawskmoor, and southwards across to Blackheath when the church was built in the nineteenth century.
Much of the material was taken to 'reclaim' Battersea Fields as Battersea Park, the land has some of the 'common land' appearance which once characterized Blackheath, but it is being municipalized.
A difficult-to-find flight of steps leads down to the Great Union Canal and Limehouse Basin, The latter is owned by British Waterways Board and was derelict for years as arguments took place as to the right mix of housing and industry, and the extent of public access to the basin.
www.londonlandscape.gre.ac.uk /walk.htm   (1459 words)

Try your search on: Qwika (all wikis)

  About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   Press   |   Contact us  
Copyright © 2005-2007 www.factbites.com Usage implies agreement with terms.