Factbites
 Where results make sense
About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   PR   |   Contact us  

Topic: Old Main


Related Topics

In the News (Wed 17 Apr 19)

  
  Old Main
Old Main was the first, and originally the only, building on campus.
Old Main is now home to the foreign language departments (Chinese, French, German, Norwegian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish), as well as Asian Studies, Classics and Medieval Studies.
The field in back of Old Main is a great spot for outdoor activities, regardless of the season—football in the fall, sledding in the winter, Ultimate Frisbee in the spring, and romantic moonlit walks all year round.
www.stolaf.edu /virtualtour/oldmain.shtml   (146 words)

  
 Reference.com/Encyclopedia/Old Main (Pennsylvania State University)
Old Main, originally called "Main Building" and first built in 1863, was the first major building of The Pennsylvania State University.
The limestone was carried in part by a mule named Old Coaly, whose bones were subsequently preserved and became a sort of mascot to the school.
During the week, Old Main's chimes play the Westminster Quarters, but on weekends, part of a Penn State school fight song, "The Nittany Lion", is played instead.
www.reference.com /browse/wiki/Old_Main_%28Pennsylvania_State_University%29   (378 words)

  
 Old Main a changing yet constant part of USU campus
Originally called the College Building, Old Main was built slowly, piece, over a period of 13 years, A.J. Simmonds wrote in his book "Pictures Past: A Centennial Celebration." The south wing was the first to be built, begun in April 1889, almost immediately after a location for the campus was secured.
Additionally, the first on-campus cafeteria was located in Old Main's basement, Simmonds wrote, and USU history professor Ross Peterson said Admissions, Registration and the Cashier were located in Old Main until a fire gutted the building on Dec. 19, 1983.
The most dramatic post-fire changes to Old Main were the removal of the auditorium and the addition of a fourth floor, which "used to be just rafters and attic and rats and pigeons and mice," Peterson said.
www.statesman.usu.edu /story.phtml?p=08-28-2000,2,1   (691 words)

  
 Old Main Project
OLD MAIN is the centerpiece of Kilgore College.
OLD MAIN and the adjoining gymnasium-auditorium, which is now the Rangerette Gym, opened in the Fall of 1936 during Kilgore College's second academic year.
Old main is irreplaceable - its historical and educational legacy is incomparable.
www.kilgore.edu /old_main.asp   (865 words)

  
 Old Main (Pennsylvania State University) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Main, originally called "Main Building" and first built in 1863, was the first major building of The Pennsylvania State University.
The limestone was carried in part by a mule named Old Coaly, whose bones were subsequently preserved and became a sort of mascot to the school.
Today, Old Main serves as the administrative center of Penn State, housing the offices of the president and other officials.
en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Old_Main_(Pennsylvania_State_University)   (368 words)

  
 Old Main Overview
Old Main, ASU's oldest building, houses the Alumni Association, and we welcome you to visit.
Thanks to a $5.7 million campaign led by the ASU Alumni Association, Old Main has been refurbished to the period of its construction and serves as a place on the main campus where alumni can always return.
When Teddy Roosevelt came to the Valley for the dedication of the Roosevelt Dam in 1911, Old Main was the natural location from which he addressed the community.
www.asu.edu /alumni/oldmain/index.shtml   (236 words)

  
 Reuther Research Old Main
In December of 1942, with fewer rations available, Old Main´s cafeteria limited students to one cup of coffee, one pat of butter and one desert.
Old Main lost one wing through demolition and gained another from new construction, netting an additional 20,000 square feet for a total of 188,000 square feet of space.
Inside, the new Old Main includes a planetarium, recital hall, art gallery, rehearsal space for the Hilberry and Bonstelle Theaters, practice studios for the performing arts, anthropology museum and 45 general classrooms.
www.reuther.wayne.edu /research/oldmain.html   (2224 words)

  
 Culture of Old Main
Old Main stood as a symbol of the University for 50 years.
Old Main was the first, and for a time the only, building on "College Hill," the forty acres in the northern part of Austin set aside by Douglas Lamar and other men with the hope of a University for their state.
The old auditorium in the center section of the landmark was the site of many a concert, lecture, and rally that are now a part of Austin's, Texas' and the nation's history.
www.utexas.edu /tours/mainbuilding/news/old-new/culture.html   (542 words)

  
 Old Main   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
Old Main, now the central administration building, is really the new Old Main.
Old Main now houses the offices of Penn State's different locations, part of the Alumni Association, Development, Public Information, and other administrators, including the President of the University.
There are many fine drawings and paintings in Old Main; it, along with the famous Nittany Lion, symbolizes for many the true heart and spirit of Penn State.
www.psu.edu /ouic/orientation100/T5/oldmain.html   (260 words)

  
 Old Main, ASU, Tempe, Arizona   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
Old Main is historically significant for its association with the Territorial Normal School and its growth into Arizona State University.
The Main Building was the principal academic and administrative center of the campus until the late 1940s, when the post-war expansion began.
The main facade faces north toward University Drive (formerly 8th Street) and is distinguished by two projecting gables separated by the 1953 fire stair addition.
www.tempe.gov /museum/hps170.htm   (359 words)

  
 Old Main   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
Old Main, the oldest building on campus, is the "mother" of all the other buildings of the University of Arkansas.
Initially it was called "the University building." In 1895, it was given a name that lasted the longest–University Hall–although for many years thereafter it was affectionately called "Old Main." The Board of Trustees corrected this in 1991 when, after a major renovation, it officially changed the name to Old Main.
In 1971, the Fort Smith firm of Mott, Mobley, McGowan and Griffin was hired to renovate and rehabilitate Old Main, a process that took 20 years.
advancement.uark.edu /info/historical_markers/oldmain_building.html   (487 words)

  
 Old Main
The first permanent building on the UT campus was Old Main, located on a grassy knoll just north of the center of the Forty Acres, on the site of the present Main Building.
Chemical laboratories had their modest allotted space in the basement of Old Main, but for obvious reasons -- danger of fire being the foremost -- the need for a separate chemistry lab building was pointed out almost immediately.
The Chemical Laboratory is to the left of Old Main, and the stack of the first power plant can be seen between them.
www.lib.utexas.edu /chem/history/oldmain.html   (491 words)

  
 Old Main Street Rd. - Houston Architecture Info Forum - HAIF®
Old Main Street Road, aka Main Street Loop Road, aka Old Richmond Road, was a street that went from Main and Holcombe, east of present day Reliant Park, and then southwest to connect to South Main.
Before that Old Main St would have been the main route into Houston from the southwest, but after South Main was extended it makes sense that it would have died out, since it was just a longer route to the same place.
at the intersection of Craighead, and Old Main loop.
www.houstonarchitecture.info /haif/index.php?showtopic=6584   (2837 words)

  
 History of Eastern Illinois University's Old Main
Old Main Home - The Beginning - The Construction - Charleston - The Campus - A Future -
The text and images appearing here are taken from the centennial exhibition on the history and architecture of Old Main—a joint venture of the Tarble Arts Center and the History department’s Historical Administration Program.
The 100th anniversary of Old Main and the opening of classes at Eastern Illinois State Normal School (as EIU was originally known) is indeed an occasion for substantive reflection.
www.eiu.edu /~localite/coles/charleston/eiu/oldmain   (504 words)

  
 Old Main
The ideals of the college expressed in the architecture of Old Main are mirrored by the use of the building itself.
Old Main is the only existing site of one of the 1858 senatorial debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas, and has been designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Old Main is one of the most important pre-Civil War buildings in the Midwest.
www.knox.edu /oldmain.xml   (200 words)

  
 University Archives - Old Main
Old Main, with the Bjornson Memorial Obelisk in the foreground.
Old Main, with the powerhouse, greenhouse, and Mechanic Arts in the background.
Old Main, as it appeared circa the 1950s.
www.ndsu.nodak.edu /buildings/oldmain/photogallery.shtml   (139 words)

  
 The Statesman
Old main is one of the oldest and most prominent structures on campus and could also be considered one of the most mysterious features in the history of Utah State University.
However, ask anyone in Logan what Old Main is and it's likely they'll point eastward and talk about the building with the big "A" on top.
Old Main is and always has been the center of USU.The history of Old Main was written by a university archiviest, by the name of AJ Simmonds.
www.utahstatesman.com /media/paper243/news/2005/11/16/Features/Its-Old.Its.Main-1059003.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.utahstatesman.com   (432 words)

  
 History of Eastern Illinois University's Old Main - A Building for the Ages:  The History and Architecture of Old ...
Fifty years before Old Main was conceived, architects and many home-owners had decided that the Gothic, arising out of an indisputably christian era, represented perfectly the christian morality of that reform-minded age.
However Old Main acquired its final appearance, when the school opened for business in 1899 its letterhead featured a more elaborate version of the building than was actually constructed.
As with Old Main, no drawings are known to survive, but Griffin, like his Prairie School compatriots, designed with the character of the prairie and its native plants in mind.
www.eiu.edu /~localite/coles/charleston/eiu/oldmain/a_building_for_the_ages.htm   (4889 words)

  
 Old Main
What the founders imagined around Old Main was a beautiful park, which included fountains statues, beds of flowers, a large pagoda, a lake, and a large vegetable garden.
Although plans were made to made to demolish Old Main in the 1920s, a full structural renovation was made instead.
An elevator was installed, the old chapel was charmingly restored, and the CU Heritage Center was opened on the third floor.
www.colorado.edu /masterplan/tour/stories/1-old-main.html   (175 words)

  
 Old Main   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
As other buildings were added to the campus, Old Main served as the administration building for decades.
Old Main has undergone many renovations through the years.
Old Main houses the School of Fine Arts and Communication, mass communication and student media.
www.masscomm.txstate.edu /oldmain.html   (199 words)

  
 Community & Economic Development - Old Main, Augustana College
Large-scale Renaissance Revival buildings are rare in the Quad Cities and Old Main is an important example of a style popular from the 1840s to the 1920s.
Old Main is considered to be the most notable building erected by Swedish immigrants to the United States.
While Uppsala’s main building boasts a crenellated octagonal tower, a dome was believed to be more reflective of such American landmarks as capitol buildings and county courthouses.
www.rigov.org /citydepartments/ced/oldmain.html   (388 words)

  
 Old Main - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Main (University of Arkansas), the first building built on the campus of the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Old Main (Mississippi State University), historic dormitory on the campus of Mississippi State University destroyed by fire in 1959.
Old Main (Wayne State University), a historical building on the campus of Wayne State University, which originally housed the Detroit Central High School.
en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Old_Main   (194 words)

  
 The Archaeology of Old Main
Old Main, once the center of University life, now sits abandoned in the middle of campus, awaiting renovation.
Immediately after the fire, restoration of the building began, transforming it into the Old Main that was used until 1973.
Fundraising to put Old Main back "on line" has taken the work of several USD Presidents, but became a central theme of President Betty Turner Asher's administration.
www.usd.edu /anth/omain/omain.html   (152 words)

  
 EMU : Historic Tour
On Friday night, October 28,1859, the three-storey main building, with most of its contents was destroyed by fire.
In 1878 an addition was built to the front, a large part of the rear wall torn down and rebuilt, the roof raised to correspond to that of the addition, and the interior remodeled.
The Old Main Building was expanded several times, concealing most features of the original structure.
www.emich.edu /walkingtour/oldmainbldg.htm   (263 words)

  
 University of Minnesota Sesquicentennial History
A preparatory school was built on donated land near the falls, but in 1854 a dispute over the property forced the regents to purchase 25 acres on the east bluffs of the Mississippi River.
The University's first permanent building, Old Main, was erected on this land in 1858.
Six months after Old Main opened in 1858, hard economic times after the Panic of 1857 and the impending Civil War forced the school to close.
www1.umn.edu /sesqui/history/features/folwell/feature03.html   (262 words)

  
 Out With the Old
Cret disliked the outdated Victorian-Gothic architectural style of Old Main which he planned to replace with a towering new Library Building.
In 1932 the plans were announced to raze the old building in order to construct the new administration-library building amidst the protest of many.
The Old Main Building was then demolished and replaced by the central facade.
www.utexas.edu /tours/mainbuilding/old-new   (372 words)

  
 Old Main Society   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
The Old Main Society was established in 1967 to recognize alumni and friends whose support makes possible the fulfillment of Utah State’s mission.
Succeeding generations of students affectionately remember Old Main as a distinctive part of their Utah State experience.
Membership in the Old Main Society is extended to donors whose lifetime giving to Utah State has reached a total of $25,000 or more, or to donors who have made bequests or irrevocable deferred gifts of $50,000 or more.
www.usu.edu /develop/recognition/old_main_society.asp   (271 words)

  
 All About Old Town Main Street   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
The Old Town Commercial Association (OTCA) is a diverse group of businesses, property owners and individuals united to promote the historic preservation, development and adaptive reuse of Lansing's Old Town.
Old Town Main Street is a four-year revitalization strategy to preserve Old Town's historic structures and strengthen its economic vitality.
Main Street is conceived as a partnership among businesses and community members, the City of Lansing, the National Main Street Center (a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation) and the Local Initiatives Support Corporation.
www.oldtownmainstreet.org /about.cfm   (197 words)

  
 Old Main Dig   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
Old Main, constructed in the early 1890s, was a monument on the York College campus, replete with arched windows, elaborate brick cornice work, bay windows, and grand third-floor dormers looking out to the south portion of campus.
Among the guests were York College alumni that walked the halls of Old Main before the fire in 1951.
When the fire got to my office all I could do was stand outside in the cold with the other students and faculty and watch the wood on the old foot-operated addressograph burn away and fire eat at the wooden card files until they all fell through the burned floor to the basement.
www.york.edu /news/Archaeology.htm   (588 words)

  
 Old Main History   (Site not responding. Last check: 2007-09-11)
The act authorized $50,000 for construction of a university building, later to be known as Old Main.
Although not officially known as Old Main until 1949 when the name was carved above the east facing door, this building more than any other epitomizes the University of Wyoming.
Old Main was designed by Denver architect Frederick A. Hale and built by the Laramie construction firm of Cook and Callahan from sandstone quarried east of Laramie and trim sandstone from Rawlins.
www.uwyo.edu /tour/oldmainhist.htm   (201 words)

Try your search on: Qwika (all wikis)

Factbites
  About us   |   Why use us?   |   Reviews   |   Press   |   Contact us  
Copyright © 2005-2007 www.factbites.com Usage implies agreement with terms.